After 16

Choices after 16

Will my child be able to stay on at school?

Education for young people with special educational needs does not stop at 16. Depending on your child's interests and abilities, he or she can stay on at an ordinary or special school, or can move to a college of further education. Many schools have developed 'link' courses with colleges so the pupils in their last years at school can go to a college on a part-time basis.

These courses help to prepare young people for further education by letting them experience a college and try out a range of new subjects.

Further education is available for young people over the age of 16. If your child has a statement of special educational needs, further education will be considered when the Transition Plan is drawn up when he or she is 14.

Many students with learning difficulties or disabilities attend ordinary courses at colleges with the help of special equipment or support. Some colleges run special courses or have units for these students. Your local college will have a member of staff who acts as the first point of contact for students with learning difficulties or disabilities. You can ask this member of staff for more information or advice. Students whose needs cannot be met by a college of further education may be able to get a place at an independent specialist college.

Many students with learning difficulties or disabilities attend ordinary courses at college.

Universities and colleges offer education at a level beyond GCE A-level standard for students from about the age of 18. It is open to all young people who have the ability to benefit from it.

If you have any questions about the choices open to your child after 16, the careers service can provide help and advice to you and your child.


Would you like text read to you?
CyberBuddy is a free utility program that makes use of MicroSoft® Agents.
Click on the picture above to visit the download site.